- Beverly Hills Cop
- Turner & Hooch
- The 6th Day
Westbank First Nation and the Okanagan Film Commission
invite you to kickstart your
Network and learn from industry experts!
We’re bringing together some of the most talented people in film and television to lead workshops so that you can land a dream job!
Camera Department | Grip Department | Lighting Department | Script Supervisor | Production | Location Scout | Art Department | Hair Department | Makeup Department | Wardrobe Department
What is it?
It’s a film crew bootcamp! Motion picture production is an expanding industry in the Okanagan, with a lot of job opportunities. Okanagan Film Fundamentals TAKE 2 is a three-day immersive experience that will help you understand the type of crew jobs that are available, what skills are needed for those jobs, where you might find a fit in the industry.
The workshops will provide:
- Basic industry information all crew members need to know
- Practical, department-specific, training with industry professionals
- Opportunities to network with instructors and other industry people
- The chance to be part of a crew and shoot a short film!
The goal of Okanagan Film Fundamentals is to help people embark on the first steps toward building a successful career in motion picture production.
Who is it for?
The bootcamp is designed to include a range of participants, from entry-level workers looking for pathways into the industry where they can develop a skill set to individuals that already have pertinent, transferable career skills (i.e. electrical, construction, painting, retail, office, fashion, driving) but are looking to understand the industry better and have access to instructors to help in levelling up.
What will I walk away with?
New skills and learning to add to your resume and the beginnings of a network that can help you advance your career!
- Christmas at the Golden Dragon
- Love’s Second Chance (Filmed in Kelowna)
- A Wedding to Remember (Filmed in West Kelowna)
- Bomb Girls
- Durham County
- Blackway Shot in Vernon
- Recon Shot in Kelowna and Vernon
- Happy Gilmore/Cats and Dogs – 2nd Asst. Camera
- Chronicles of Riddick/Masters of Horror – 1st Asst. Camera
- Supernatural/Wu Assassins/Van Helsing – Camera Op.
- Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol
- The Hangover Part 2
- The Adam Project
- Star Trek Beyond
- Watchmen, Bates Motel’s
- Producer: Seasons 1,2&4 ‘ALONE’
- Producer: Toyota ‘Start your Impossible’ Campaign- Stills
- Producer: Various tv Commercial & Print Campaigns – 2005 onwards
- Kung Fu
- The Mysterious Benedict Society
- Centre for Arts and Technology Kelowna Alumni
- The Chronicles of Riddick
- First Wave
- The Magicians
- Battlestar Galactica
- Operation Christmas Drop
- 21 Jump Street
- Jurassic World Dominion
- The Christmas Chronicles part 2
- The Man in the High Castle
- The Good Doctor
- Deadpool 2
- The Revenant
- Tron Legacy
- Man in the High Castle S4
- Peacemaker S1
- The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open
- 1922 (Netflix Feature)
- Easter Sunday (Feature)
- The Bears’ Lair TV
- Coyote’s Crazy Smart Science Show
- Found hero location – Spielberg’s 2002 TAKEN ( Episode 9 )
- Found hero locations for Brad Bird 2015 Disney’s ” Tomorrowland “
- Provided location photography for world wide location guide competition 1999 -Okanagan locations
- Okanagan Film Commision
- Circuit Breakers ( a new Apple TV+ show I wrote for coming out this Nov 11.
- Continuum TV Series
- Watchmen (Production Department)
- Combat Hospital
- The Sinners
- 9 Questions: The Documentary
- Life Down Back
- Re-Inventing The Wheel
- Wheel Love
- Favourite shows
- An Unfinished Life
- Human Cargo
Orientation and keynote addresses by Award Winning Executive Producer, Janis Lundman and Okanagan Film Commissioner, Jon Summerland. Breakfast will be provided by one of our favourite industry caterers. #getcaffeinated
9:30 am – 9:45 am
Hollywood Industry Professional Writer Talk
11:15 am – 12:15 pm
Talk with a Production Team
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Time to Eat!
Just like on a real set, film catering truck(s) serve you up some lunch.
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
Talk with a Designer/Cinematographer
3:00 pm – 4:15 pm
Talk with Director
Wrap for the Day
Start your day with another orientation, and breakfast. Today’s keynote speech will be delivered by a representative from Creative BC and Jon Summerland.
Meet your Instructors
Meet your instructors at check-in locations for hands-on training.
10:00 am – 12:30 pm
Pick the Track
Pick the track you’re most interested in!
Camera, Grip, Electric
Art Department, Location Scout
Production, Script Supervisor
Hair, Makeup, Wardrobe
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Training breaks for an hour. Get nourished, and meet new people with similar interests!
Day 2 Ending
The day concludes. Nice work!
A slightly earlier start. Breakfast Keynote from Union Delegates (IATSE, DGC, Teamsters, UBCP)
Call time at the work trucks. You’ll go over a call sheet (a daily document that outlines the schedule for a shoot on a production)
And ACTION! All class tracks come together as a Crew with a Director & Cinematographer. The day’s goal? We make a movie with the skills you’ve learned!
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Lunch is here. This is the perfect time to swap stories from the morning. Exchange emails. Make TikToks, or whatever it is you like to do. Just use #OFFTAKE2 if you’re the social type.
That’s a Wrap!
That’s a wrap! Or, at least that’s when we plan on ending. We recommend you have a flexible schedule in case the shoot runs late.
The OFF Take 2 event, held in West Kelowna, BC , September 23rd – 25th. The Okanagan Film Commission has secured a special rate and hotel block with the TownePlace Suites, by Marriott, West Kelowna, until September 21st . Should you require accommodation, please follow this link to secure your reservation.
Attend Day 1
Attend Days 2 and 3